Handmade Fishball Noodles - Chao Yang Fishball Noodles

Recently recommended by a friend, I decided to try this raved about Fishball Noodles. Some are known for their springy noodles, some for their umami sambal sauces, some like Song Kee are known for their "Her Kiao" (fish dumplings). This stall is known for their handmade Fishballs, but somehow does not lose out of the other "indicators" too.

These fishballs do not have the factory "surimi" fishy taste. It is fresh, bouncy on the outside but silky and smooth on the inside. The choice of fish made it such that it was sweet, and lightly salted perfectly. They are so popular that by 11am, when I was up front in the queue, I saw the chef counting the remaining fishballs... A few after me were briefly turned away. Sold out by 1130am!

The "Her Kiao" was bigger than others with a fuller bite. The wrap was slightly thicker. But easily a top contender behind Song Kee and Li Na. But I heard that the owner is related to the team behind Song Kee! But this stall serves larger portions and at more affordable prices - this bowl was $5 (upgraded from $4.50 to use my CDC voucher!).


The soup was tasty. Sure perhaps a bit of MSG, but it was also sweet from hints of the fishballs. I was so impressed when the chef took his time to taste each batch of soup, adjusting the amount of water as it reduces. What also impressed me was that whilst he was doing this, the lady who had initially poured two bowls of soup for the next customer, poured fresh bowls of soup as it had gotten "less hot". This is Michelin standards guys! I hope the Michelin team will pick this up, I'll just hashtag this for now. 


The Mee Pok was thinner and not as al dente as I would have liked, but surprisingly still an enjoyable slurp! Largely due to the Pork Lard oil which I told was lighter than usual but equally flavourful! And I swear there is a dash of Hua Tiao in there...





Chao Yang Fishball Noodles
4A Eunos Crescent Market #01-24 
Opening Hours 5:30am to 12:30pm (Closed Wed-Fri)

Comments

Popular Posts