Restaurant IBID [CLOSED]


I decided to finally make a port of call to MasterChef winner Woo Wai Leong's restaurant IBID. A lawyer by training, of course his restaurant had to be named after the latin term "in a common place" often seen in references. The team seemed comfortable and self sufficient as Chef Leong now runs around making guests drink.

"Beef Tripe braised with Five Spice, topped with Sour Plum Powder
Torched Toman Jerky" 
The tripe was a tad dry but flavourful, tastes just like a large intestine with Kway Chap. The Toman fish jerky was weird as it felt as though we were having a white fungus chinese dessert for starters. Rocky start.

"Mapo Tofu with Foie Gras & Croissant"
Yet quickly redeemed! I heard this was a main on the previous menu, and requests from regulars poured in to bring this back. The block croissant was thick and full-bodied and of course proper buttery. This was meant to go with the mapo, but I wished I had a bowl of rice instead. Because it was sooo good. A tofu custard chawanmushi sits at the bottom, topped off with a spicy Mapo sauce and a piece of Foie Grad. 

"Swordfish cured in Kombu Verjus Granita"
This dish was meant to deconstruct a Lo Hei Yu Sheng. I had expected the Swordfish to be firm, but cured in Kombu made it smooth and soft. The Granita was light and went well with the fish, but I felt the ginger was in the way. 

"Katsu Iberico Spiced Banana Ketchup"
This piece of Katsu was breaded perfectly, and delivered with a punch from the Spiced Banana Ketchup. There is a Cod version to this as well and it was equally yummy. 

"Xinjiang Lamb Rack, Pickled Mustard Seed, Rosemary Jus"
The lamb was just so fatty but it was overbearing, it was juicy and almost melt in your mouth.

"Sarawak Laksa Risotto and Boston Lobster"
This is my favourite dish on the night. Inspired by Leong's hometown, a mild sarawak laksa engulfed the risotto. Topped off with Boston Lobster that was sweet from its freshness and salty from the sea. 

Orange Sherbet I Osmanthus Vinegar I Pomelo

Baba au Baijiu I Fermented Rice I Strawberry


 

Comments

Popular Posts