Yong Huat Hokkien Mee

Hidden in a corner within this hybrid coffeeshop-bar, Yong Huat serves a variety of noodle dishes from Minced Pork, Char Kway Teow, Hokkien Mee and its famous Fried Mee Sua. 

As soon as I stepped in, the boss yelled "Hokkien Mee $6? Ok take a seat." I was dumbfounded, it was my first time here. I smiled and nodded clearly amused. 

As is, the noodles has an ostensible Wok Hei and a good char of chopped garlic. But it lacked the seafood umami from its prawn broth. However, when you stir in the chilli paste, a fried mixture of chilli, fermented beans, and dried shrimp, the flavours of the noodles are at its best. And you must be brave, add a chunk of fried pork lard into each spoon, you won't regret it. 

Overall, I generally prefer my hokkien mee to be plump with prawn broth, not as watery, and with less Thick Bee Hoon. But it is a good plate of noodles nonetheless. 



Yong Huat @ AliBaBar
125 East Coast Road

Comments

Popular Posts