Zhong Yu Yuan Wei Wanton Mee

I had intended to food hunt Min Nan Prawn Noodles, but saw the long queue beside it for Wanton Mee. Following a craving I decided to queue for it. There was a sign saying that the Premium Char Siew has been sold out. But the queue was relentless. 

I am not sure what the Premium Char Siew would be like, but what I bite into today was one of the best I ever had. The Char Siew tasted like a sweet caramelised "Bak Kwa". It looked dry and lean, but when I chewed at it, it was juicy firm and very chewy! There was a piece that would have been a tendon part of the pork that was so tasty! 

The Wantons were unlike what I am familiar with - minced pork bits with crunchy water chestnuts etc. This was a melt in your mouth dumplings smooth wrapping and slurpy fillings. 

The noodles were springy as with any quality noodle stall, doused with a light salt sugar and soya base that the stall assistant splashes instead. The chilli is something very special too. It has a strong fermented bean flavour (tau cheow) with a bit of spice. Goes great with the noodles, but moderately as it will get too salty.




Zhong Yu Yuan Wei Wanton Noodles
忠于原味雲吞麵
Tiong Bahru Market #02-30
30 Seng Poh Rd

Comments

Popular Posts