You Fu Hokkien Mee

 I'm always a proponent of supporting the next generation of hawkers, and encouraged to know that we will not be losing the hawker culture as soon as we feared. There has been a lot of social media hype about 21 year old Andre Ong, plus his interview on TV portrayed him to be a humble and hardworking chap. I must give him a chance. 

The ordering system seemed very haphazard... You didn't know who had ordered and waiting around, you couldn't find the tail of any queue. This plate is the largest size at $8. Came with 5 Ang Kar prawns (one was hidden below), a few slithers of pork belly and some squid. I felt that they could improve the proportion of ingredients for aesthetics and for the palate. 

He dishes out a batch of about 10 portions in a quick 8mins. Yet he cooks in medium high heat, which I am thinking might be the reason why I didn't get a hint of Wok Hei. Perhaps he is just starting out. 

The portion of vermicelli to yellow noodles is similar to that of Nam Sing - which I am not a fan of. Because Bee Hoon does not absorb the broth as well as the yellow noodles. And it made it extremely dry... I had to use the sambal to flavour the dish but they were quite conservative with the chilli - I had ask for more to have this amount (pictured). 

But we should all continue to support him so that he can survive and continue to work hard and improve his dish! 



You Fu Fried Hokkien Prawn Noodles
505 Beach Rd, #01-57, Golden Mile Food Complex (Army Market)
Opening Hours: 10am to 8:30pm (Closed Mon)

Comments

Popular Posts