Yudofu Sagano - Kyoto

This has to be the most serene and Zen restaurants I've ever been to!

Tucked away in a corner of the Arashiyama forest, you are first greeted by a store-like frontage with a large water pot. As you walk in, it does resemble a restaurant with many pottery pieces on the wall. But as you are ushered further in, past the beautiful Zen garden and the amazing meters-long Bonzai branches held up on stilts - you arrive at what might have been an aristocrat's previous private residence.

We were early and lucky to be seated inside. Walking in, there are historical accents at every corner, from the Samurai armour to musical instruments. You are then seated on tatami facing the garden. It doesn't matter what I'm served at this point - I was "zen" up (even if it was going to be just tofu).







It was just a 10-course lunch meal worth 3,800Yen. Almost everything was around, you guessed it, tofu. I don't think I've ever had such a clean meal in my life. It wasn't bland tough, it was subtle and masterfully prepared. For example, the gingko wrapped in tofu below

   
 

Comments

Popular Posts