Ramen Yashichi - Osaka Japan

Ramen Yashichi
Recommended by Mark Weins 


I only came here after finding out that Katsudon Hozenjiyokocho is now closed on Tuesdays instead of what Google stated at Mondays. Took at train to Nakatsu station and a few mins walk, you’d arrive at this nondescript shop front with no queue and no English signage for you to recognise. And the reason why they wasn’t a queue was because they were heading out queue numbers, asking you to return on average 30-40mins later. What felt like I was being chased away, turned into the nicest hostess I’ve met. She offered to keep my luggage whilst I go “walk around”. p.s Customers were turned away from taking a ticket as early as 1pm! 


And when I was finally inside, I heard her stopping someone from taking water?! Only to realise it is because she had already done so for him. And when she sat me down, I expected to cram next to someone else so I placed by my backpack on the floor only for her to kick a fuss, asking me to rest it on the chair instead. Why would you sacrifice a seat when there are people outside waiting?! But then a single seater availed and they were embarrassed to move me. But I did, and they were so appreciative, they topped up my order with a slice of Char Siu and Ramen Egg! Unbelievable. 



The Ramen was another milestone altogether. The broth, milky tonkutsu bone broth, “sweet to the bone” comes to mind. It’s rich but not heavy, flavourful but not salty, Umami definitely rings loudly - addictive with each slurp of the soup (they must think I was nuts enjoying and trying to deconstruct this soup base). Then with a bite of this amazing char grilled pork belly, brought Umami to another level altogether. 

The hallmark of every successful and famous Ramen place I have to say is the attention they pay to the Char Siu. Be lazy and you’ll be repelled by a gamey/porky lean. The “greats” you’d realise that it not only possesses a clean and firm texture, but almost sweet to the chew. Even their Ajitsuke Tamago (Ramen Egg), done slightly more firm but retaining a tofu like consistency. Their noodles had a medium firmness to it, as opposed to being too chewy or thick, went down very well indeed. 



Ramen Yashichi
3 Chome-4-8 Toyosaki, Kita Ward, Osaka, 531-0072, Japan

Comments

Popular Posts